Real women, Digital world. The untold story of women and the web
Yahoo, TNS and Starcom Mediavest Group have undertaken a research project, asking women about their web usage.
The results highlight – interesting or not – that that 96 percent of women say that they frequently feel positive emotions while online. So should brands be marketing to elicit positive emotional reactions, to maximise female opportunities?
- 51 percent of women say they love finding new and exciting websites on the internet
- 42 percent say they will go online even if they are not looking for anything in particular
- Where to find her: games websites
Digital Cassandra – the influential predictor of “what’s next”
- 43 percent of women say they tell all their friends about websites they like
- 22 percent claim they are usually the first of their friends to discover an interesting website
- Where to find her: news, finance, home & family and food & entertainment websites
Digital Diva – uses the “smartest” sites
- 16 percent of women say they use the Internet to buy luxury items.
- Where to find her: shopping, travel, health & beauty, entertainment & gossip and finance websites
Digital Debutante – new to the internet, but not a novice
- 20 percent of women state that although they are relatively new to the internet, they are constantly learning about new applications and websites.
Digital Detective – internet researcher
- 82 percent of women say the Internet is the first place they go if they need to conduct research
- 58 percent can spend hours on the Internet researching every aspect of an issue that they are interested in.
- Where to find her: news, weather, finance, home & family and food & entertaining websites
Digital Voyeur – uses the internet to anonymously observe
- More than 20 percent of respondents use the internet to look up old friends or boyfriends
- Where to find her: news, finance, games, home & family, food & entertainment and astrology websites
- 12 percent of women agree with the statement: “I use the Internet to help me plan my social life”
- 15 percent say they have used the Internet to meet new people
- Where to find her: travel, entertainment and gossip websites
- Just over 10 percent of women say they have started an online business or have used the internet to generate income.
- Where to find her: news websites
The reoprt writers go on to say that some of the conventional wisdom about how and why women use the web may not be all correct. One thing though is that the digital conversation between marketers and female consumers will never be the same. Reaching women on line will require greater insight, a better understanding of their attitudes and values, and the willingness to engage in an empowering dialogue. ::
Navigating the emerging landscape
#typed notes explores the emerging landscape from an insiders perspective, commenting on futurology, social media, brand planning and anthropology. And inspiration
He is Founding Partner at Metropolis Partners